Saturday 14 April 2012

synthetic sounds of april

So, this week's playlist started life as an attempt to compile my favourite bass lines in one playlist. But then it went a bit wrong and ended up as some bizarre 80s synth mix with a couple of modern bits thrown in the mix. Let's see what you all think:

1. Blue Monday - New Order (because let's face it - it's an absolutely stone-cold classic).

2. This Charming Man - The Smiths (not synthy, but definitely got one of the best basslines in the history of popular music. Plus, the lyrics are frankly hilarious).

3. Don't You (Forget About Me) - Simple Minds (my friend Matt and I were driving to the coast a few weekends ago listening to this and singing along. I'm very glad there weren't doors in the back of the car, though, or I think Lou may have made a bid for freedom. She definitely doesn't like this one...)

4. The Rip - Portishead (actually from only a couple of years ago, but I really like how the song breaks down into that one repetitive synth riff at the end. I think it fits well with the mood of this playlist).

5. Enjoy the Silence - Depeche Mode (a key track on "Now That's What I Call Music 17", the first album that my sisters bought me when I was young 'because they thought I was really weird' because I only listened to jazz and classical).

6. Get Down on It - Kool & the Gang (you'd never credit that the same guys also did "Jungle Boogie". This was definitely during their more commercial period...).

7. This Is The Day - The The (great song, really fantastic lyric).

8. Rio - Duran Duran (another survivor from the "great bass tracks" project. Plus another great singalong tune).

9. A Celle Qui Dure - M (another modern one. One of my favourite artists, M (Matthieu Chedid) is a really famous French multi-instrumentalist, and he's got some amazingly funky tracks. It was a toss up between this and a track called "Bonobo", but this one won because of the bass line...again...)

10. Close To Me - The Cure (another one from "Now 17", but a gloriously cheery sound. Interestingly, covered by M on the album that track 9 is taken from, and also included in a track from Sufjan Steven's "Illinoise" album).

11. On Her Majesty's Secret Service - Propellerheads (it is my life's aim to produce a bass sound like this one. Absolutely magnificent).

So, here's the link. Let me know what you think.

P.S. I wrote this a while ago, but never published it. There'll be a new list following shortly.

1 comment:

  1. Very much liking the Portishead track. Never heard it before, so nice to come across it.

    ReplyDelete